Jack Dorsey is a well-known technology entrepreneur and the co-founder of Twitter and Square. Born on November 19, 1976, in St. Louis, Missouri, Dorsey has made significant contributions to the world of social media and online payment systems.
Dorsey's most notable achievement is co-founding Twitter in 2006. The platform quickly gained popularity and became a prominent social media network, allowing users to share short messages called tweets. As CEO, Dorsey played a crucial role in the early development and growth of Twitter, setting the foundation for its widespread adoption and influence in the realm of communication.
In addition to Twitter, Dorsey co-founded Square in 2009. Square is a financial technology company that provides small businesses with tools for accepting card payments through mobile devices. With Square, Dorsey aimed to simplify payment processes for small merchants and empower them to compete with larger retailers. Under his leadership as CEO, Square has expanded its services and developed innovative products such as Cash App, a peer-to-peer payment service.
Dorsey is known for his visionary mindset and commitment to innovation. He has been an advocate for open communication and the power of social media in connecting people around the world. Despite occasional controversies and challenges, Dorsey has remained a prominent figure in the tech industry, demonstrating resilience and adaptability.
Outside of his professional endeavors, Dorsey has been involved in various philanthropic efforts. He has donated significant amounts of his wealth towards causes such as education, health, and economic empowerment. Dorsey's commitment to giving back and his interest in societal issues demonstrate his broader perspective on the impact of technology on communities and individuals.
Jack Dorsey, born and raised in St. Louis, Missouri, is a well-known entrepreneur and co-founder of several successful tech companies, most notably Twitter, Inc. His journey in the tech industry began when he dropped out of New York University, where he had been studying, and moved to California to pursue his passion for programming and dispatch routing.
In 2000, Dorsey started his own company in Oakland, which aimed to dispatch couriers, taxis, and emergency services through a web-based platform. It was during this time that he had the idea for a real-time status/short message communication service inspired by instant messaging and other platforms. Dorsey, along with Biz Stone and other co-founders, developed a prototype of what would eventually become Twitter.
Twitter gained immense popularity and quickly became a global social media phenomenon. Dorsey's role as CEO of Twitter saw him leading the startup through two rounds of funding by venture capitalists. While the service initially focused on improving uptime and user experience rather than generating revenue, Dorsey recognized the potential for commercial use and the monetization of Twitter's API.
In 2008, Evan Williams took over as CEO of Twitter, while Dorsey transitioned to the position of chairman of the board. During this period, Dorsey participated in various State Department delegations, including a trip to Iraq in 2009 and a visit to Russia in 2010. He also played a significant role in coordinating with the State Department during the Green Revolution in Iran, where Twitter's temporary shutdown for maintenance was delayed to support the protesters' communication efforts.
Dorsey returned to Twitter as executive chairman in 2011, and in 2015, he assumed the role of interim CEO after the resignation of Dick Costolo. Later that year, Dorsey was named the permanent CEO of Twitter, guiding the company through various challenges and initiatives, including expanding the character limit for tweets and addressing issues of abuse and misinformation on the platform.
Outside of Twitter, Dorsey has been involved in philanthropic efforts and advocacy for causes such as the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU). He has also faced scrutiny and controversy, including temporary suspensions from his own Twitter account and hearings before the Senate Intelligence Committee regarding social media's role in the 2016 presidential election.
In 2021, Dorsey stepped down as CEO of Twitter but continued to lead as the CEO of Block, Inc., a financial technology company focused on cryptocurrencies and blockchain technology. In October 2022, Dorsey retained his ownership stake in Twitter when the company was sold to Elon Musk.
Throughout his career, Jack Dorsey has made significant contributions to the tech industry, revolutionizing communication with the creation of Twitter and exploring innovative solutions in the blockchain and cryptocurrency space. His entrepreneurial spirit and vision have shaped the way millions of people connect, share information, and engage in public discourse online.
Jack Dorsey's vision encompasses leveraging technology to facilitate open communication, foster meaningful connections, and empower individuals. Throughout his career, he has demonstrated a commitment to creating platforms that enable people to express themselves, share information, and engage in public discourse.
As one of the co-founders of Twitter, Dorsey's initial vision was to develop a real-time communication platform that allowed users to share their thoughts and updates with a wide audience. Twitter's emphasis on brevity, with its 140-character limit (now expanded to 280 characters), encouraged concise and immediate expression, making it a unique social media platform.
Recognition and Awards
- Jack Dorsey | Wikipedia
- Jack Dorsey: the outgoing Twitter CEO with an artist’s vision | Theguardian
- Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey explains his vision for social media's future | Cnet
- Jack Dorsey American Web developer and entrepreneur | Britannica
- Jack Dorsey | Forbes
- Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey’s Enlightened Approach To Success | Forbes
- Jack Dorsey | Biographybd
- Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey’s Enlightened Approach To Success | Thefamouspeople
- Jack Dorsey Biography 2023- Twitter, Block and Bluesky Social Co-Founder| Ebiographypost
- Jack Dorsey | Marketscreener
- 22 Riveting Facts About Jack Dorsey for 2023 | Webtribunal
- "Too Soon": Jack Dorsey After Mark Zuckerberg Sends Him Follow Request On Threads | NDTV
- ‘Too soon’: Jack Dorsey takes a swipe at Mark Zuckerberg for sending him follow request on Threads | Hindustantimes
- How Twitter Co-Founder Dorsey Created an Opening for Zuckerberg’s Threads | Bloomberg
- Jack Dorsey took aim at Meta's Threads and accused it of ripping off Twitter: 'We wanted flying cars, instead we got 7 Twitter clones' | Businessinsider
- Jack Dorsey: India threatened to shut Twitter and raid employees | BBC
- Don’t Count Bluesky Out Yet | Gizmodo
- Jack Dorsey Accuses Meta's Thread of Cloning Twitter as Platform Hits 70 Million Users 48 Hours After Launch | Legit
- Jack Dorsey and Elon Musk pile in on Meta's new Twitter competitor | Businesinsider
- PICTURE EXCLUSIVE: Beyonce stuns in a one-shouldered black dress as she and husband Jay Z relax while joining Twitter co-founder Jack Dorsey on a lavish billionaires' holiday to Lake Como | Dailymail
- Who is Jack Dorsey? The billionaire tech founder and Bluesky boss who ran Twitter before Elon Musk | News Sky
- India threatened to raid Twitter employees' homes, Jack Dorsey has revealed | QZ