Xiaolan Fu is the Director of the Technology and Management Centre for Development (TMCD), Professor of Technology and International Development and Fellow of Green College at Oxford University and, through the TMCD, responsible for OxValue.AI as Chair of the Board.
Prof Xiaolan Fu Interview Focus
1. An introduction from you – background, overview, education…
2. Career highlights
3. Your recent books include China’s Path to Innovation, China’s Role in Global Economic Recovery, and The Rise of Technological Power in the South. Can you tell us a bit more about them and the role of innovation in China’s development?
4. Can you explain to us what “Innovation under the radar” is? Any examples of that in the work you have been doing in Africa?
5. Can you tell us about your work as Professor of Technology and International Development and Fellow of Green Templeton College in Oxford?
6. Can you tell us about the Technology and Management Centre for Development (TMCD), where you are the founder?
7. You have been a consultant for UNDESA, UNCTAD, UNIDO, the World Bank, OECD, European Commission, ILO, the Commonwealth Secretariat, UKTI and the Chinese government. You serve on the Advisory Expert Group of the OECD Global Investment Forum and the DFID/ESRC Economic Growth Directorate (DEGP), and you are President of the Chinese Economic Association (Europe) and CEA (UK) in 2010-11. Can you tell us about this work with global organisations and how do you see the bridge between your academic and research work and the collaboration with these organisations? Especially when it comes to open innovation, academic research and policy making?
8. Can you tell us about OxValue.ai organisations and focus?
9. OxValue.ai brings new ways to look at companies valuation. Can you elaborate on how it works and the research and AI behind it?
10. How do you see AI and Society 5.0 – 4IR and all areas of digital transformation and ESG?
11. What are your goals and how do you see the future of business, work and the main trends in tech, innovation and society? Special with Covid-19 outcomes?
Xiaolan Fu Biography
Besides Pr. Xiaolan Fu’s position as the Founding Director of the Technology and Management Centre for Development (TMCD), University of Oxford, she was appointed by the Secretary-General of the United Nations to the Ten-Member High Level Advisory Group of the UN Technology Facilitation Mechanism and to the Governing Council of the UN’s Technology Bank for Least Developed Countries. Professor Fu is also a member of the UN SDSN Leadership Council led by Jeffrey Sachs and a member of the Council for Global Economic Transformation co-chaired by Joseph Stiglitz and Michael Spence. She is the 2019 winner of the CFA Asia-Pacific Research Exchange Award (CFA Insitute), the 2018 winner of the Best Journal Paper of the Year Award (European Academy of International Business), and the 2017 winner of the Best Paper Award (European Association of Management (EURAM) Innovation Strategic Interest Group).
Her research interests include innovation, technology and industrialisation; trade, foreign direct investment and economic development; emerging Asian economies; innovation and productivity in the UK/US. Currently, Prof. Xiaolan Fu is focused on innovation collaboration, digital technologies and inclusive development, knowledge transfer within and between organisations, and green innovation policy.
She has published extensively in leading international journals independently or in collaboration with others. Her recent books include Innovation under the Radar (forthcoming), China’s Path to Innovation, China’s Role in Global Economic Recovery and The Rise of Technological Power in the South. She is Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Chinese Economic and Business Studies, and serves on the editorial boards of Industrial and Corporate Change, International Journal of Technology Management, and four other international journals.
Professor Fu has received large research grants from funding bodies that include the European Commission, ESRC, EPSRC, British Academy, DFID, and the Cairncross Foundation. She also received the European Commission EFMD Gate2Growth 2005 ‘European Best Paper’ Award, Emerald Literati Network Awards for Excellence 2012 Outstanding Paper Award, and European Association of Management (EURAM) annual conference Innovation Strategic Interest Group 2017 Best Paper Award.
She has been a consultant for UNDESA, UNCTAD, UNIDO, the World Bank, the OECD, the European Commission, the ILO, the Commonwealth Secretariat, UKTI and the Chinese government. Professor Fu serves on the Advisory Expert Group of the OECD Global Investment Forum and the DFID/ESRC Economic Growth Directorate (DEGP), and was President of the Chinese Economic Association (Europe) and CEA (UK) in 2010-11. She currently serves on the Management Committee of the Oxford University China Centre. She is also a Senior Research Associate at the University of Cambridge and University of Tsinghua, and a Visiting Professor at Fudan University. As a leading China expert, she has participated in various media interviews and panel discussions including for the BBC, Sky News, CCTV, CGTN, People’s Daily, and China Daily. In 2014 she was invited to address the UN General Assembly on ‘Science, technology and innovation in developing countries’.
Professor Fu came to Oxford from Cambridge University, where she was a Senior Research Fellow. Before coming to the UK, she had five years’ work experience in the business sector in China before embarking on her academic career.
As the Chair of the Board of OxValue.AI, Professor Fu is supervising this initiative. OxValue.AI is a venture with the objective of a social enterprise that uses a multi-faceted business model to ensure its financial sustainability while achieving its core goals of enabling technology transfer to developing countries and funding research within the Technology and Management Centre for Development (TMCD) at the Department for International Development, University of Oxford (ODID).
OxValue.AI is designed to commercialise the VEST (Valuation of Early Stage Technology) Valuation Tool, which leverages a number of variables including patent data, initially in Information and Communication Technology (ICT) companies. VEST is a useful new approach to the appraisal of technology and an important guide for decision-making in technology investment, transfer and commercialisation. OxValue.AI offers the following services, including
International Organisations within the UN, EU, World Bank, etc. involved in technology transfer – for valuing and budgeting technology investments and assistance; National Governments – for improved and comprehensive GDP accounting; Global Corporations – for mergers and acquisitions; Financial Services Institutions such as Venture Capital (VC), Private Equity (PE) and Investment Banks (IB) – for funding evaluation.
Academic awards and Honours
∗ Winner, Asia-Pacific Research Exchange Award, 2020
∗ Governing Council, Technology Bank for LDCs, United Nations, 2016-
∗ Leadership Council, Sustainable Development Solutions Network, United Nations, 2016-
∗ 10-Member Group, Technology Facilitation Mechanism, United Nations, 2015-
∗ European Association of Management (EURAM) Innovation SIG, 2017, Best Paper Award
∗ Emerald Literati Network Awards for Excellence 2012, Outstanding Paper Award.
∗ European Commission, EFMD Gate2Growth Academic Network, 2005 ‘European Best Paper Award’.
∗ Oxford University Teaching Excellence Award, 2011.
∗ Member of Advisory Committee, DFID/ESRC Growth Programme Directorate (DEGRP)
∗ Member of Expert Advisory Board, OECD Global Investment Forum
∗ President: Chinese Economic Association, CEA(Europe) and CEA(UK), 2010-11.
∗ Fellow in Innovation & Entrepreneurship, Judge Business School, Cambridge University, 2006-
∗ Pierce Visiting Scholar (by invitation), Emory University, USA. 2012-13
∗ Editor-in-Chief: Journal of Chinese Economic and Business Studies 2013
∗ MNEmerge project: MNEs and global development
∗ Valuation of early-stage technology
∗ Understanding innovation in low-income country
∗ Diffusion of innovation in low-incomes country
∗ The Role of Internationalisation on Technological Capability-Upgrading in Developing Countries
Prof Xiaolan Fu Links & Sources
Open Business Council offers resources, Trade Finance, business advice, SME Finance and a forum and directory for businesses! Improve your business and use the best digital, financial and funding tools to grow ROI – return on investment and ROA – return on attention!