Kay Hutchison had it all – the high-flying media career, a loving husband, the 5-star lifestyle – but one day she realised she was empty and unhappy. Holidaying on the French Riviera she finally understood the things she had spent her life striving for weren’t really what she wanted at all. She told her husband she had to go, left her holiday and husband there and then and began a new phase of her life.
‘My life in 37 Therapies’ is the book for every woman out there who has spent her life working hard, behaving well, ‘doing the right thing’ for everyone but herself, only to be left wondering why she’s still not fulfilled. It’s one woman’s unique and entertaining guide to finding herself. A ‘no holds barred’ story about looking for the right answers, sometimes in the wrong places – trying everything from Shamanic Retreats to F**k-It Therapy, Tarot to Past-life Regression and lots more in between.
Kay went further than most working her way through a total of 37 different therapies – from desert dunes to mountain tops, travelling far and wide in her quest for fulfilment. A taste of her experiences:
- Acupuncture – a dingy basement with a chain-smoking practitioner
- Affirmations – be careful what you wish for……
- Ayurvedic medicine – a thousand-year old treatment practised in India
- Card readings – calming and helpful with panic attacks
- Colonic irrigation – cleansing but not for the faint hearted!
- F**k it therapy – unexpected and a real tonic
- Guided mediations – easy DIY therapy you can do at home
- Massage – the ultimate pick-me-up
- Past life regression – led to a Shamanic retreat in Egypt
- Silent retreat – 50 women, 10 days over Christmas, total silence
- Voodoo – never the answer
- Writing therapy – brilliant for organising thoughts and ideas
Whilst some of the therapies she tried were more successful than others – Kay believes that all of the therapies contributed in some way and helped her work through her mid-life crisis and come out the other side healthy, whole and content.
Packed full of funny stories about her experiences this is the ultimate feelgood read taking a humorous look at the sometimes less than glossy reality of therapies. Honestly written, every woman will recognise herself in the emotional turmoil that is laid bare against the backdrop of an intensely personal journey of discovery.
Kay Hutchison is a content creator with extensive experience in radio, television and publishing. After gaining her BMus and MA in music at Glasgow University she joined Decca Records in London and then BBC Radio as a Producer. Kay moved across to television with Channel Four and went on to lead the launch teams for Disney TV and Channel Five. In the build up to the 2012 London Olympics she successfully led the legacy partnership that delivered a long-term future for the multi-million pound Olympic Broadcast Centre.
Kay founded her own company, Belle Media, and launched Belle Kids in 2015 producing multiplatform, conservation focused content for children.
- My Life In 37 Therapies
- By Kay Hutchison
- Out 4 July
- Published by RedDoor Publishing Ltd
- Paperback Version: £9.99