Betrayal can cut deep, leaving you wondering whether you can – or should – ever trust anyone again.
Elaine Eisenman, PhD, and Susan Stautberg know this from experience. The co-authors of the new book Betrayed: A Survivor’s Guide to Lying, Cheating, & Double-Dealing say that over the years, both of them have suffered betrayal in their personal lives and professional lives and seen it time and time again with friends, clients, and colleagues.
“Trust is the basis for all human interaction,” says Stautberg, Governance Advisor to the portfolio companies of Atlantic Street Capital, a private equity firm. “In all relationships we trust others, believing that while they will always look out for and act in their own best interests, they will also respect ours.
“Unfortunately, trust is a precursor to betrayal.”
As part of the research for their book, Stautberg and Eisenman interviewed more than 50 people who were willing to share not only the painful details of how they had been betrayed by lovers, spouses, friends, colleagues, parents, bosses and boards but also their paths to creating a new future.
Betrayed: A Survivor’s Guide to Lying, Cheating, & Double-Dealing provides advice and guidance to the reader by discussing such topics as:
- How to spot red flags that signal someone might be likely to betray you.
- How to hold onto your power during and after a betrayal.
- Why revenge can be tempting, but may not be the best answer.
- How to deal with betrayal when it happens in your family business.
- Why it’s important to pay attention to your gut and trust your instincts.
- When to forgive – but not excuse your betrayer – and move on with your life.
- How to bounce forward after a betrayal and become stronger, happier and more self-confident.
Elaine Eisenman, PhD, currently serves as an independent Board Director for DBI, Inc. (NYSE), as well as for AtmosXR and Miravan, both privately held companies. She is the Managing Director of Saeje Advisors, LLC, an advisory firm for high growth ventures. In addition, she works with the ScaleUp team at Entrepreneurship Policy Advisors to create and implement entrepreneurial ecosystems, focused on growing and scaling companies.
Susan Stautberg is Governance Advisor to the portfolio companies of Atlantic Street Capital, a private equity firm. She is also President and CEO of PartnerCom Corporation and Chair Emeritus of the WomenCorporateDirectors Education and Development Foundation (WCD). Susan addresses groups around the world, including leading business schools and CEO conferences. She has written or been featured in numerous articles including The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, and The Financial Times and her on-air experience includes Oprah, The Today Show, CBS Evening News, CNN and many others.
- Betrayed. A Survivor’s guide to lying, cheating and double dealing
- By Elaine Eisenman and Susan Stautberg
- Out Now
- Published by Advantage Media Group
- Paperback Version: $14.01