- EU legislation continues to target money laundering and terrorism financing
- Corporate crime expert says tough new laws should act as a “wake-up call” for finance professionals
- Leading lawyer issues action plan to help you spot signs of money laundering
Financial professionals need to ensure they’re equipped to spot signs of money laundering within their company, as the European Commission continues to introduce tough new laws.
Aziz Rahman, Senior Partner at serious and corporate crime defence specialists Rahman Ravelli, has urged accountants, auditors and IFAs to treat the EU’s ongoing drive to eradicate money laundering and terrorism financing as a “wake-up call”.
The European Commission unveiled an Action Plan earlier this year, which followed on from the adoption of the Fourth Anti-Money Laundering Package in 2015. Both are clear indications that the authorities are desperate to prevent unlawful money from being hidden within businesses.
With the maximum penalty for money laundering set at 14 years, Mr Rahman warned that finance specialists simply must know how to prevent this kind of wrongdoing.
“If we are being honest, the new EC regulations could be seen as a wake-up call to anyone who has been sleepwalking through business unaware of money laundering risks – but everyone should, by now, be alert to the dangers,” he commented.
The legal expert said you can highlight examples of money laundering by asking the following six questions:
- Has someone been vague or reluctant to talk about the exact sums of money involved in a deal, or who the investors are? You need to flag it up.
- Have some unusual instructions or conditions been introduced into a deal? Find out why.
- Has somebody contacted you out of the blue to express an interest in investing money into your company? Do your research. Do they have an ulterior motive?
- Have there been sudden changes to your working relationship with partners or other businesses? Do some digging.
- Has money been moved without a proper announcement of where it’s gone and why, or has there been a request to use a different account? These are clear warning signs that you should act on.
- Have assets appeared suddenly or has somebody floated the idea of making a loss? Also, if someone has asked to make payments in cash, you should immediately be on your guard.
Even if you are completely innocent and money was being moved around behind your back, you can still receive a substantial penalty if your business is taken to task.
As well as asking the six questions above, Mr Rahman offered a six-point action plan to ensure money laundering cannot happen on your watch.
- Devise a clear anti-money laundering policy and appoint an anti-money laundering officer who is aware of the company’s legal obligations to report anything suspicious to the authorities.
- Make thorough checks on the identity of a client, trading partner or anyone else involved in moving money into, out of or around your company.
- Take the time to identify the real beneficiaries of a deal or the exact nature of a business relationship between two parties.
- Introduce accounting and cash handling procedures into the workplace that make it as hard as possible for money laundering to happen within your company.
- Enforce a no-cash policy on transactions of a certain size.
- Appoint senior staff to scrutinise the source of funding for deals or investment – or devise a procedure for third parties to disclose their funding sources.
About Rahman Ravelli
Founded in 2001, Rahman Ravelli has become one of the fastest-growing and highly-respected legal practices specialising in the defence of serious fraud, complex crime, regulatory matters and commercial litigation in the UK. The firm has represented a host of high-profile clients both nationally and internationally.
Open Business Council offers resources, Trade Finance, business advice, SME Finance and a forum and directory for businesses! Improve your business and use the best digital, financial and funding tools to grow ROI – return on investment and ROA – return on attention!